Pages

Saturday

Obama, The Brand

I've been so swamped lately that I haven't had an opportunity to post much here lately. A recent project to ghostwrite a hypnosis ebook has me seeing the world anew, but that's fodder for another day. Or is it? Because I've popped in to release a few thoughts about presidential candidate Barack Obama, who happens to live in my neighborhood in Chicago.

About two months ago, I'd planned to engage you in a few thoughts about branding. At the time, I thought I'd use Snoop Dogg as a fun case study. Like many pop culturists, I'm fascinated by how deeply the pimped-out gangsta rapper integrates his persona at every echelon of the entertainment and commercial media worlds. This speaks volumes about America's taste for... Well, I'll let you fill in that blank.

But Snoop Dogg as a case study has taken a back seat. From a branding stand-point, Senator Obama is the phenomenon that's now intriguing marketing minds beyond compare:

"What Is Branding? ... a brand is a combination of attributes, communicated through a name, or a symbol, that influences a thought-process in the mind of an audience and creates value. As branding is deeply anchored in psycho-sociology, it takes into account both tangible and intangible attributes, e.g., functional and emotional benefits..."


I wish I could go deep on the subject, but alas, other demands are calling. For now, I'll just share a few relevant links on brand marketing and Obama. And "If," as they say in hypnotherapy land, "you're getting sleepy," (not!), I'll let you draw your own conclusions:

* How They Grew Brand Obama (AdAge)

* How to Build a Brand Like Obama (Fast Company slide show)

* Obama's Speech On Race Tops YouTube (NPR)

Visit PetLeopard.com for innovative ebook creation and marketing services helping small business, artists, and Internet entrepreneurs.

No comments: